I emerged from the depths of sleeps dark sea, drawn up from the darkness by the ringing of the telephone. I rolled over, trying to pretend I had not heard the noise, but it kept on going, each ring removing what was left of sleep's cobwebs. Slowly, I reached over and picked up the phone.

"Hello," I said, trying to shake the sleep from my brain.
"Pete? Pete? Is that you Pete?" came a female voice.
I was a little puzzled; I certainly was not Pete.
"Sorry," I said "I think you have a wrong number."
"Oh," replied the female voice with what I thought after sounded like a sob. "I am so sorry to trouble you"

I tried to make up for my half-asleep state, and replied.
"It's okay. I had to get up, the phone was ringing"
I got no reply, just the click of the phone being put down.

I thought little more of the incident until later that morning when the phone rang again.
"Pete? Pete? Is that you Pete?" came a female voice I now knew.
"I am sorry," I replied, "there is no Pete at this number. Are you sure you have the correct number?"
She gave me a number, and sure enough it was mine.
"I am sorry," I said "that is my number, but really there is no Pete here."
I heard a huge sob this time from the other end of the phone.
"Thank you," came a voice now thick with tears, "I am so, so sorry. I just have to speak to Pete, I really do. This was the number he gave me, I do not know what to do."

I should have said goodbye at this point. Instead, something made me keep this lady on the phone talking to try to find out what was the matter.

After about an hour's conversation, I found that her name was Dian, and she lived down near the South coast. She was trying to get hold of a man called Pete, who as far as I could understand, had either done something to her, or else she wanted him for something. Dian was very quiet about this whole thing. I hoped I managed to make her feel a little better though talking on a phone to a strange woman whom was obviously very upset was not easy, but I tried. By the end, I do believe she had even stopped crying.

I went to bed that night with a smile on my face, feeling that I had managed one good turn that day at least.

I had just turned out the light when the phone rang once more. I picked it up.

"Hello," said the voice I now knew was Dian "I am so sorry to trouble you. I hope you were not sleeping?"
"It's OK," I answered "I am just happy to hear your voice. How are you doing?"
I heard a laugh for the first time.
"I'm fine," said Dian in a voice calm compared to her earlier calls. "Your talk really helped me understand what was going on, and what I had to do. I know it might sound strange, but you being there made everything so clear. I knew exactly what I had to do, and no matter what people say, I have done what is right for me and my unborn child."

So now I knew the problem.

She carried on, "No matter what you hear in future, please know I am happy, and that your helping me has meant more than anything I can tell you."
This statement puzzled me a little.
"You have been a friend," she went on "A stranger who stopped to offer me a helping hand, and for that I am so grateful. No matter what happens, or where you go, know in some way my thoughts and prayers will always be with you."
I smiled.
"Thank you," I said "I am just thankful I could help."
"You did more than help." she replied "You cared. That is something few would have done."

I swear that at this point I heard a voice calling her name.

"I just wanted to thank you," she said and I could swear she was laughing. "You have shown me the light."

With that last comment, the line went dead.

I looked at the clock. It was ten o'clock at night, and settled down to sleep, all the time the words from Dian rolled round my head.

In the morning I woke feeling very happy with myself, wondering if I would get another call from Dian. In fact, I thought I really would like to speak to her again.

I sipped my morning cup of tea, and looked through the local paper. I headline caught my eye.

"Young Woman's Body Found" I read on. "A young woman, later identified as Dian Russell, was found on the beach yesterday evening. The body of Miss Russell, who was 7 months pregnant, was found by man walking his dog at 9pm-yesterday evening.

The story went on, but I could not read it. Something did not make sense. I knew without even working it all out that this was the Dian from the phone calls, but I could not understand the times. I called the local police and tried to get some more information. Indeed, it was the Dian I had spoken to. In fact, the police, who had found my number in her room, were keen to ask me some questions.

I put on my coat and hurried to the station, and after several hours left still puzzled.

Indeed the body had been found at 9pm, and police did see that I had received a call at 10pm, but from a phone number they could not trace. When I questioned the time difference, the inspector just shrugged his shoulders.

Her last words filled my mind "You have shown me the light."
I shuddered, could it have been a call from an Angel?

At least, I thought, no matter what, I knew she now was happy.

Barry Eva 2004